11.07.2008

Phoenix Central Library: Thinking in Section


Phoenix Central Library, originally uploaded by postpanglossian.

So it's been a while since my last post, and I thought that I would jot down some thoughts.

As I sit here in Phoenix Airport, I am reminded of the Phoenix Public Library and how that library works as a whole. As thoughts run through my head as I design my own library, I think of my largest issue: thinking in section. In this building, Bruder uses section to accomplish the following: "structural light", double height ceilings, light entering the building, and a general idea of space. I was trying to find a section of this building, but I can't seem to find one in the google-world. From what I remember, the entrance is on the south side, which is completely closed off to the southern directional heat. The northern side is where the reading room and a large curtain wall with sun shades is located. As far as other orientation of staff, and other library needs, I am not so sure as to how the building functions. I do know that the structure of the roof is a very interesting. Bruder's idea of "Structural Light" is something that can only be discovered in section. As seen in the image above, the columns clearly do not touch the roof. Instead, there is a circular window which allows light into the building and enhances the concept of these columns that do not touch the top. In order to make this column work, Bruder splits the load into four sections a long a grid, and in the middle, in the column which receives all of load of the roof above.

The idea of this "Structural Light" is very similar to my concept of floor "sky-lights". Where the column comes up, through the study carrel, the floor turns to glass, allowing light to the lower level and also a feeling of lightness in the same area of structure.

Unfortunately, that's all the time I have here in Phoenix.

No comments:

nicholas john ter meer

My photo
Boston, MA, United States
I am from southern California, but for now I live and go to school in Boston, MA where I study architecture at one of the finest institutions that our country has to offer (www.wit.edu/arch).