1.31.2009

Library:: Jamaica Pond, Boston, MA





Wow. It sure has been a while since my last post. I have been through Christmas and New Years back in California, and now I am back in Boston studying and keeping really busy. Nowadays, I should have some more time to blog because Starbucks has been cutting my hours, providing me more time to spend on school and have the ability to blog. So... We have a lot of catching up to do. We'll start with the final project of last semester: 


The Project:: Library in Jamaica Plain, Boston, MA

In building a library, the first concept that comes to mind, is Louis Kahn’s idea of ‘get a book and take it to the light’. In such a great site as ours, we can capture much more than ‘light’, but still carry that concept throughout.  What I want to do with my library is have the ability to take a book from the stacks, and either takes it to one of two places. Place one being, the light. I want to frame different views of both the pond and the trees. Place two, being a very private study carrel where the reader can read in a closed, quite and private area, where it would still abide by the concept of light via skylights. 

On the site, many trees, so I want my library to feel like a tree house. Hovering above the ground, and the views to be seen as if one were in the trees looking out, beyond the leaves and broken places in the dense leaves and branches separate to allow a place to see sky, other trees and the rest of the scenery. 


On the site, many trees, so I want my library to feel like a tree house. Hovering above the ground, and the views to be seen as if one were in the trees looking out, beyond the leaves and broken places in the dense leaves and branches separate to allow a place to see sky, other trees and the rest of the scenery. 


I also want this library to have the feeling of warmth and a place that you can take off your shoes, get comfortable and read a book. I hope that this library is a place that you want to frequent and as you frequent, you see and experience all of the seasons changing and it will inspire you in what you read, write and do. 



On the first level, located below grade, is an exhibit space to allow for local artists to display work, a media room, archive space, and the library offices and a conference room. These are all things that I saw reason to putting in the darker, quieter and less populated spaces. 


The ground floor was derived from the path in which people take to the desired spaces. The middle floor is completely open to the elements, with the hovering level above it. The lines that you see in the plan are where pre-fab concrete slabs will merge with the landscape of a grass feature, as if the ground level were covered and camouflaged by the spilling landscape. The concrete slab provides for a complete merging from the landscape to the walkway. The columns provide for the trunk-like space in the concept. 



The top floor is the place where the tree like figure is most evident. Via a series of ramps, the floor differentiates to provide for a very treehouse-like feeling. On this floor, program is book stacks, reading space, computer and reading carols. The shape of the space was derived from a square and where focal points to the trees and to the pond are in this space.  



No comments:

nicholas john ter meer

My photo
Boston, MA, United States
I am from southern California, but for now I live and go to school in Boston, MA where I study architecture at one of the finest institutions that our country has to offer (www.wit.edu/arch).