6.08.2008

Mullhulland Drive


Mullhulland Drive, originally uploaded by termeern.

I love Los Angeles.

For those of you who don't know why I love L.A., I’ll tell you why right now. I love everything about Los Angeles. The weather. The people. The nightlife. The urban-ness. The dirtiness. The homeless. The smog (not so much). But everything about Los Angeles really fascinates me. The fact that so many people live in close proximity to each other, drive in such immense traffic, and deal with such air quality, why? For the weather? For their jobs?

There are jobs in other places with better jobs, air quality, weather (?) and sometimes better people, but why do so many people love to live in Los Angeles? It’s proven that sitting in traffic from Los Angeles to Riverside with the windows down is as bad for you as smoking a pack of cigarettes. A pack of cigarettes. Wow. All for a city that offers great weather and good people? If the people are so superficial, then why do so many people love them? If the smog is so bad, then why do so many people contribute to it? If the people are so arrogant, then why do so many people want to live here? Living in Boston, people often say, “The people are so fake” or “It’s so gross”, but if it is so gross, then why do so many people love it? If so many people hate it, why do so many people love it?

Anyways, this is one place in Los Angeles that I love. I love to look out, and watch as the busyness goes by as I sit and ponder about what is important. All seems quiet as the raging 101 freeway blows underneath. The quiet, empty Hollywood Bowl is waiting to entertain thousands for the night, as I sit and watch the empty bowl. Highland is packed with drivers, honking their horns, and getting frustrated at the Honda Civic in front of them, but as I sit here, everything seems to slow down. Everything seems to take a different pace. Life gets put into perspective. One person is this humongous mess. In this huge place that we call home: earth. You see yourself as one person who thinks; who takes the time; who wants to understand.

Life is put into perspective.

n.tm

No comments:

nicholas john ter meer

My photo
Boston, MA, United States
I am from southern California, but for now I live and go to school in Boston, MA where I study architecture at one of the finest institutions that our country has to offer (www.wit.edu/arch).