5.28.2008

Compacting the Compact :: The Folding Wayfarer


Compacting the Compact, originally uploaded by termeern.

Just when your sunglasses couldn't get any smaller, they go and do a thing like this!

The Wayfarer was first designed in 1952, and since then have been a active ingredient in pop culture. In the 50s and 60s, celebrities such as John Lennon, Bob Dylan, John F. Kennedy, James Dean, Audrey Hepburn and Andy Warhol were constantly seen wearing the classic Wayfarer frame.

The Wayfarer has been played an active role in fashion since the 50s and still is very prominent in the fashion world. Marc Jacobs, Valentino, Gucci, Chanel, and many other designers are yet to find their "classic" frame, while Ray Ban tries to keep their "classic" up to date. Sunglasses have always been compact, and easy to slip into a pocket, but never quite this easy.

I have always been a fan of the Wayfarer, but for only $50 more, I had to have the Folding Wayfarer. I wanted them because, even though you can't see the crease where they fold, they are fun to take off and say, "look what these can do". They fold up to no thicker than normal glasses, and they are half the size. Sunglasses have never gotten in my way when they aren't on my face, but I felt that I needed the smallest ones possible. All this to say, I love my new glasses. Classic, but so unique. I am working on being the "vintage guy", and this is one step closer.

n.tm

No comments:

nicholas john ter meer

My photo
Boston, MA, United States
I am from southern California, but for now I live and go to school in Boston, MA where I study architecture at one of the finest institutions that our country has to offer (www.wit.edu/arch).