7.16.2008

Wood Structure


SCI-Arc, originally uploaded by termeern.

I went to SCI-Arc in December, as I always do when I am in the area, to check out what they are doing with their work. It inspires me to be a lot more creative than Wentworth encourages me to be. I saw this structure and couldn't help but be amazed. From my understanding, this was one semester class that constructed this structure.

The thing that I love about this structure is that it is continuous and almost seems as though the wall intersects something that was already there. Also, this structure sits beneath the air conditioning vents and looks as if the concept could possibly how the air moves through the space, and it is built to emphasize the air movement. This structure reminds me of a Zaha Hadid lecture that I went to. She said that fluidity is her main concert for her projects, and I couldn't help but notice that this was so very fluid in every way. Wood is a hard material, yet you can manipulate is to act how you want, and that's exactly what these students did.

Fluid. Manipulatable. Wood. Amazing.

n.tm

No comments:

nicholas john ter meer

My photo
Boston, MA, United States
I am from southern California, but for now I live and go to school in Boston, MA where I study architecture at one of the finest institutions that our country has to offer (www.wit.edu/arch).